Home Economics unit of Jaffna University is the only unit that offers BA and BA Hons undergraduate study programme in Home Economics since 2001. The scope of the Home Economics study programme has been winded to the areas like hospitality industry, food and preservation, food and nutrition, interior design, textile industry and child care with inter disciplinary approaches. The undergraduate degree programme at the University of Jaffna in Home Economics is structured around local needs with a global outlook. The graduates have many job opportunities in different vocational areas such as hospitality and tourism, hospitals and healthcare, fashion designing, housekeeping, food industries, social welfare, preschool and crèche, and interior decoration.
Home Economics is an application of many sciences and arts towards achieving healthier and happier homes. It combines different aspects of home management, food science and nutrition, human development and textile and interior designing. Home Economics students learn about the inter-relationships between diet, health, family, home and choice and the management of resources.
The undergraduate degree students of Home Economics get hands on experience in cookery, fashion and apparel designing and interior decoration. After completion of the degree the graduates will understand their roles and responsibility in the family and community. It helps them in the management of resources and also prepares them as a responsible future leader in community.
Faculty of Arts of University of Jaffna is the only faculty in Sri Lanka offers the Bachelor of Arts in Home Economics degree (Tamil medium) which gives the pathway to a successful future. The graduates have many job opportunities under different vocational areas such as hospitality and tourisms, hospitals and health care, fashion designing, housekeeping, food industries, social welfare,
preschool and crèche and interior decoration.
Graduate Profile of Home Economics
On successful completion of the Bachelor of Arts in Home Economics, graduates shall be able to,
• Exhibit sufficient knowledge in the areas of Home management, Food and Nutrition, Human
development and Textile and clothing.
• Plan and organize with the utilization of various resources at home for the proper benefit of all
• Employ their creative skills in analyzing the contemporary fabrics and apply in practical way.
• Apply the prevention methods of the spoilage to control deterioration to make a safe food production
• Apply appropriate principles and techniques in presenting fashion ideas and illustrate the pattern in
garment construction for special needs and considerations in different settings.
• Be aware of importance of contemporary development of food industry.
• Interact with individuals from diverse cultures and handle multiple tasks.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the biological, psychological, social and cultural influences of
lifespan in human development.
• Receive and express their ideas and share knowledge resources in a range of formats.
• Apply knowledge on dress making and household accessories and use their creative skills.
• Appreciate the nature and properties of food and differentiate the food culture.
Demonstrate the skills necessary to organize small industries in order to pursue career options in professional marketing field.
• Improve learning by working in new environment with industry experts.
• Apply theory on contemporary research problems to know the real world situation.